Landscaping with Montana Native Plants in the Flathead Valley
In addition to the information compiled below, the Flathead
Chapter encourages you to visit native plant gardens in your region.
You can find a list of gardens here.
The general articles on the Native Plant Landscaping page may also be helpful for you.
Native Plant Landscaping Articles for the Flathead Area
We have compiled many articles and resources about landscaping with native plants in the Flathead Area.The articles are listed below, and are available simply by clicking on the title (they will download to your computer as PDF files that require Adobe Acrobat, which you can download for free from www.adobe.com)
Paper copies of these articles are also available for free at MNPS Flathead Chapter programs, which are held at 7 pm October - November & January - April on the third Wednesday of the month. (Click here for a schedule of events).There is a $1 charge (to cover copying) for the Recommended Species for Native Plant Landscaping in the Flathead.
- Gardening with Native Plants... preserving the Flathead's Living Legacy -This is a primer on native plant gardening in the Flathead Area
- Recommended Species for Gardening and Landscaping in the Flathead Region -with information on growing requirements, applications, wildlife use, and more.
- Kathy Ross's Recommendations for Native Home Gardens in the Flathead (2018)
Resources for Native Plant Landscaping in the Flathead -This is a list of resources to help you find additional information including books and websites.
- Nurseries Selling Native Plants in the Flathead -A list of local nurseries producing native plants.
- Guidelines for Collecting Native Plants -The Montana Native Plant Society discourages the digging of native plants. However in some cases, collecting native plants may be justified. These guidelines were developed to help those wishing to collect native plant materials do so without damaging our native plant populations and communities.
- Sources of Native Plants - 2011 Edition - Here is a newly researched statewide guide to sources of native plant material for your landscape needs.
- Creating Native Landscapes This is a comprehensive guide developed by the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service Bridger Plant Materials Center. The last page of the PDF document includes information for ordering free paper copies.
- Montana Weed Control Association - Website on Montana noxious weeds including photo identification guide and a range of management methods.
- Firewise Communities - Website with lots of resources and information about protecting your home from wildfire. Not necessarily native plant specific.
- Wildfire! Preventing Home Ignitions - a 20 minute video explaining recent research on how you can best protect you home without excessive forest thinning.